Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Data on twins

I was poking about my extremely cluttered inbox and ran across a link that my kid sister had sent to a site called Twinstuff.com. Finally being curious, I popped over and spent not a little time reading this and that and the other.

I found this: What are the chances of my having twins? Which has a couple of drop down boxes where you select your age or race and it gives you your odds.

Turns out that "natural" fraternal twins are 1:60, according to their sources. However, race and age for White 35-39 is 1:27 (as of 1997 figures) and Black 30-39 is 1:28. So where does that leave me? 1:27.5? I think I was set up!

And this: Ideal weights for twins during pregnancy.

Ooh! Ooh! I'm ahead of the curve! Their chart says that at 16 weeks, they should be about 4.2 oz, to reach the average twin size at birth (ranges from 37 weeks = 5 lb 14 oz to 40 weeks = 7 lb 2 oz). From our amnio appointment, they pegged them at 7 oz each! Two weeks ahead of schedule. Hey! If we keep that up, they'll be a fair size at birth!

Yay crazy eating!

As I mentioned before, my goal is healthy, full term babies with little to no time in NICU. If that means eating like a sumo wrestler, I guess I'll have to do that, although it is harder than it sounds!

I figure, since my initial wish list items of healthy results from the amnio and then one boy and one girl were granted, I'm doing pretty well! Now I'm placing the long term wishes. I want them to be awesome like Caitlin was. I'd really like to be able to breastfeed again for a good long while. I'd say 13 months, but I'll take what I can get! I'd like to not develop any horrible pregnancy related complications (HELLP, pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes, death, etc.) although I do plan on complaining miserably about a) the heat and b) the swelling. Probably also my back aching and not sleeping. I'd like them to delay teething until they are 12 months old, just like Caitlin. Lots of other things that dwindle into trivia, but I think I'm good.

So, to recap: healthy, good weight, full term, no pregnancy related diseases or death. Then the others: awesome like Caitlin, positive breastfeeding experiences, no early teething.

Yay for Emma and Brandon! Or maybe not Brandon, but Baby A! (Eric is having second thoughts on Brandon. On to negotiations!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...