Wednesday, March 14, 2007

It's my birthday!

Happy birthday me!

I have a song for the occasion:

It's my puppy and I'll cry if I want to!
Cry if I want to!
You would cry too, if it happened to you!

Yes, I did spend all night obsessing about the dog. I kept thinking up ways to have the dog. Naming the dog (don't even know what sex it is!). Walking the dog and such. Think, think, think.

Then today, after a yummy b-day lunch with Eric, I asked him if we could go back to PetSmart to look at the dog and see if I felt the same in the cold light of day that I felt last night. Weepy, to be exact, and wanting that black dog.

Um...

I'd like to tell you that I didn't. That I looked at the dog and said, "Who needs the hassle? Someone else will get it and love it." and then walked away.

Noooooo!

Instead, I thought I'd do some more research. Asked the guy working there about it. Has it been abused? The info on the cage mentions Puppy Rescue - what was it rescued from?

Never abused, 4 months old, the two puppies are brothers "rescued" from a kill shelter in Nebraska by the Puppy Rescue folks. Hey, he's potty trained! And he appears to like kids and other dogs. Not spastic, loud or barky. Very even tempered and social. Not fearful. $90 for adoption, already had the first sets of shots and he's already "chipped". Not neutered yet, though.

Did I mention he's house broken?

Errr. Errr. Brain malfunctioning. Errr!

Has anyone else expressed interest? One other person, but they haven't come back.

Oh. Oh dear. OK. Well, I have to think about it. We're just thinking about it. I have two cats already. I'm just thinking about it.

We all say goodbye and Eric and I go get Caitlin from school. We discuss the Dog Issue on the way (not in front of Caitlin). Eric has had dogs previously and from time to time has suggested we get one. I've been the one that has been all "No! No! We don't need a dog! Dogs take work! Way more work than cats! Besides, what would the cats think?" Now, suddenly the tables are turning. Now Eric, who said "Absolutely not!" last night is moving to a neutral position.

He's become Switzerland.

Well, think of this and that and expense and new baby and yadda yadda yadda! I've already thought about all of those things last night when I wasn't sleeping and they're all trivial. Only two things really stand out: walking the dog in the cold winter (I'm cold right now and it's in the 60s!) and the expense. Yet...I've never regretted owning any of my cats. I've also never reacted this way to a dog before (or since Blackie, whom I loved dearly).

Is this my dog? Or is this just the hormones taking over my brain?

I figure that a) it would get us out of the house on a regular basis (Step away from the computers!) and b) I'd have the next 7 months to train the dog and get in the habit of having a dog. And that is a really sweet dog. Not drooly. And house broken. I mean, come on!

Talk me out of it! Please! Or something! Ahhh!

Otherwise I think I might just have a new dog.

For my birthday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know you have a large enough yard that you could fence off an area for a dog run. Put up a little shelter/doghouse for those times when puppy must be out of the house and when you can't or won't go for a nice long walk. Neuter is muy importante - and depending on how things are out there potentially expensive. The expenses: shots - every year, flea/tic protection like frontline - every month, heartworm protection - every month, doggie toys (preferably not shaped like shoes), dog food, dog treats (course he might be like mine who loves apples, carrots, eggs and anything else I hapen to be eating), collar, leash, dog license. Boarding if you take a long trip, grooming if he's too squirmy to let you clip his nails.

I think your staring to get the picture. Hubby is correct dogs are expensive.

Anonymous said...

Dogs are expensive, frequently inconvenient, possibly loud, blah, blah, blah. I'm such a sucker for dogs (dachshunds, anyway), because they're the closest thing you get to unconditional love. It absolutely kills me that dogs will still love dirty, rotten *&%$'s that ABUSE them. You can feel as if you're going to die because the world is so hard, and your dog will lick your face and cuddle you and not lobby too hard for food. If you wanted me to talk you out of this: YOU'RE OUT OF LUCK!!
Love and hugs,
Yvonne

Scylla said...

Happy Birthday!!

Wish I could be there to hug you!!

M

Anonymous said...

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Valerie said...

Happy Birthday!

Fortunately no fleas in CO. ah I miss that little detail...

YOU, getting a dog? I would never a thunk it.

Never.

Oh and Happy Birthday!!!!

Lee Gonzales said...

Happy Birthday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...