Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Puppies!

So we went to PetSmart to get catfood, since the cats are enamored of continued existence and like their kibbles. We're really good that way - we feed them! Regularly, even.

Inside the front entrance was a cage of puppies. A pair of 4 month old, German Shepherd mix puppies. One was mostly black, with a little white spot on its chest, the other was brownish with black streaks. We stopped to pet the puppies.

This was my first mistake.

These were sweet, quiet, endearing puppies. They weren't loud, frantic, nervous puppies. They said, "Love us! Look at how sweet we are!". They were evil that way. So I petted the puppies and then we moved on to collect the all important cat food.

We swung by the kitty section and said hello to the local inmates. We do this regularly, so I am inured to the loveability vibes of kitties. Also, having some already helps. I'm staying with two. Then we wandered over to have a look at mice and frogs and fish. We like to visit. Not unlike visiting the zoo, only less ice cream is involved. And lions. Absolutely no lions at PetSmart. Shame that. Of course, I'd never take a lion home, but if they had Ocelots, I'd probably get one in a heart beat.

Then, on the way out, Eric paid and I visited with the puppies again.

And god dammit if I didn't want the black one. Really bad. Very suddenly. And then I was crying/trying not to cry. I stood up and started doing the little jigging dance of I'm-fine!-No-really!-I-need-to-leave-right-now! So then we left, with me inexplicably in tears over a dog that kind of reminded me of my German Shepherd mix, Randy, who was a nice dog, but psychotic. Didn't remind me at all of Blackie (Very original name, I know.), who was a Border Collie and The Best Dog In The World!

I wanted that puppy for its very own sake; its soft eared, sweet natured, sniffy nosed self.

It's not like I'm worried the puppy won't find a home, I know it will. But I wanted it. For me.

And I need a dog like a need a hole in my head.

Gaaah!

Fucking puppies!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have my sympathies. My local Petsmart has a very relaxed looking Maine Coon cat (lots, and lots of long fur). I'm finally down to one dog, one cat both of whom provide enough extra fur to cover a whole litter of puppies/kittens.

No more, no more - must resist...must not get another pet.

BTW - way back in time when I was looking to get Lloyd, there was a German Sheperd (purebreed) at NSAL who was HUGE, at least 2x Randy's size, so buyer beware!

Scylla said...

Oh honey, I understand.

If I did not have an extremely good will power I would be the crazy lady living alone with her 37 cats and dogs. As it is we have 5 pets, and I consider that good self control.

You are about to have a puppy of your own, who will take much time and energy from you. He or she won't be as fluffy as this puppy, but they will be soft and warm.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...