Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A New Year! Yippee!

Starting off with a bang around here, we trundled the grumpy Caitlin off to school again. Toothbrush trauma, lost hair brush lament, too small sock complaints and hurried cereal eating aside, it was a fabulous start to the new year! Hooray!

...


Who am I kidding? I want my four year old back! Who is this child that argues constantly? This can't be normal development in a 5 year old girl, can it? I'm stuck with a teenager already?! AIEEEEE!

I'm dyin' ovah heah! I'm dyin'!

I'm going back to bed. Wake me when she's moved out, will you? Argh!

The full list goes something like this (because you might recognize it):
  1. Argues with absolutely everything you say.
    • Parental request: "Please go brush your teeth."
    • Teeth grinding response: "I don't want to!"
    • Parental response: "Argh!"

  2. Corrects you when you're off by the slightest amount.
    • Parental request: "Please clean up your bowl."
    • Teeth grinding response: "Plate!"
    • Parental response: "Argh!"

  3. Cannot handle teasing.
    • Parental comment: "You're so silly!"
    • Teeth grinding response: "I am not! Don't say that about me!"
    • Parental response: "Argh!"

  4. Is extremely literal.
    • Parental comment: "I want to fly like a bird!" Mad arm flapping ensues.
    • Teeth grinding response: "You can't! You're not a bird! You're not!"
    • Parental response: "Argh!"

  5. Insists she is right about everything.
    • Parental comment: Anything. Anything at all.
    • Teeth grinding response: "No it's not! It's [something else entirely]!"
    • Parental response: "Argh!"

  6. The Whining.
    • Parental request: Anything. Anything at all.
    • Teeth grinding response: "Whiiiiiiiine!"
    • Parental response: "Argh!"

And how is your day?

7 comments:

Scylla said...

I understand. Marlena has begun to argue over every single thing, all the time!! It makes me insane.

I guess it is normal development, but man does it suck!!

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Lucky us! I've also heard it tracks normal for very bright children.

Doubly lucky us!

Kate suggested (evolutionarily speaking) that if they had multiple siblings as they would have if we were cave-women, they would take out all of this irritating questing for resources (our sanity) on their siblings.

Then, of course, you'd have to content with all of those "I don't care who started it...!" conversations.

Scylla said...

I am thrilled with waiting for those conversations. Ours looks very similar to yours.

Mom: Please brush your teeth
Marlena: I want to eat first
Mom: Nope, everytime you eat first you don't get your teeth brushed in time for school, go brush your teeth.
Marlena: No, I want to eat first!
Mom: Fine, have stinky breath at school.
Marlena: Screaming "I WANT TO BRUSH MY TEETH!"

Sigh.

I am so looking forward to being able to drink again.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, a confident, strong willed, opinionated Little Lady. I wonder where she gets that from? Hmmmmmmm....... (wink! wink!)

Anonymous said...

Tracy surprise, My take on this whole situation is that being the highly inteligent human beings that we are we want our children to have individuality and think for themselves. Problem is they do it and we are not trained to deal with these situations. Darn!! Someone told me that they told their kid that they should move out soon as they could become stupid being in that home. I think you are doing a great job but just remember your not perfect. Grampy

Red Flashlight said...

Scylla said it right. Would you like to get together with the goils for cocktails some night? :)

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Red, I would love to, if it would ever stop snowing around here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...