Monday, March 05, 2007

Doctor! Doctor!

Got my 8 week appointment today. No ultrasound although I did cry all over the nurse who was doing my What Weird Diseases Run in Your Family interview.

I'm paranoid. I'm terrified something is wrong. I have no reason to be. I'm irrational about it. I fully own up to it.

However, I'm am also "of advanced maternal age", so there's a whole series of Integrated Tests that I can get starting around 10-14 weeks done by perinatologists that will answer all of my burning questions like:
  1. How many vials of blood can be drawn from me before I faint? Short answer: must be more than 5. Did 5 today and didn't pass out. Yay me!
  2. How many chromosomes does my baby have? We're still shooting for 23 pairs.
  3. Will my insurance pay for all of this testing? Vague answer appears to be: Yes, because you're so old!
Oh and there's a high resolution ultrasound in there, too, so I didn't feel too bad about not getting one today, although that would have answered the twin question.

So, the visit went well. Caitlin watched me get examined and I explained the inner workings of the female genital system to her with the poster on the back of the door as prop. She thought it was cool.

The doc said that I was normal, normal, normal for weight gain, showing already, nerves, fears, uterine size, illness and exhaustion. Then she sent me off to have my blood drained. Mmm mmm!

Do I feel less paranoid? Only slightly. I'm looking forward to the testing and the ultrasound. I'm looking forward to hearing the heartbeat - Caitlin should love that! In the meantime, it's pickles and doughnuts for me!

Mmmm...pickles!

5 comments:

Liz said...

Congrats on the pregnancy. I wish I could have done that 3D ultrasound.

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Thanks! It's the one thing I'm really looking forward to as part of testing!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear!

Kate

Scylla said...

I am pleased to hear all is well, Marlena has really loved all the explanations and pictures we have shown her. Now she is angling to be in the delivery room while I give birth, as progressive as I am, somehow I don't see it happening.

Woman with a Hatchet said...

No, I think you're right. There's really only so much blood and suffering a kid should see and to see their mom that way would probably be traumatic.

Caitlin will be waiting outside with grandparents, I'm certain. But then, I'm getting cut open. Yet more blood and guts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...