Friday, February 09, 2007

Cravings

  1. Grape-Nuts
  2. Entenmann's cinnamon doughnuts.
  3. Calamari. Not just any old calamari, either. Calamari from Zolo Grill. I really wanted the type they used to make with a brown sugar coating. No luck. The current version is also very nice - spicy sweet. Mmmm.
  4. Ribs. Mom's ribs. Not my mom's personal ribs, just her pork rib recipe.

This, of course, meant that I had to call her today in the middle of the morning (after this morning's bout of unconsciousness) and beg for the recipe. It is now cooking on the stove.

You'd like the recipe? Of course you would! My mom's cooking rocks!

Momma Hatchet's Ribs*
1 rack of pork ribs
Divide rack into pairs of ribs
Season with ginger, black pepper, and garlic powder
Brown both sides in your Dutch oven, a pair at a time. When all are browned, throw them back into the pot.
Pour in 1 cup vinegar + 1 cup brown sugar
Add 1 large onion, sliced
Cover and simmer for two hours. This is the hard part. Waiting.
Turn them around/over every 30 minutes so that they all stay moist.
Right before they're done, add soy sauce to taste. (I don't know what that means yet, but I'm about to find out.)

If you're really patient, mom says they taste even better the next day and you can skim off the excess fat. I don't think I'm going to make it that long, I can smell them now. The sauce can be poured over rice and devoured.

Mmmmmmm!

The critter in my gut is about the size of an apple seed and yet has the ability to control what I eat (and what I don't), how much I sleep and whether I go into a psychotic fit over perceived injustices or not.

Whoo boy!

* If you're really lucky I'll crave her beef patties. Then you will beg me for the recipe. Beg. I'm tellin' you. World peace could be achieved if we all sat down together and shared some of these.

8 comments:

Liz said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Ribs are such a delicate subject, much like religion and politics. Everyone has their own special way of cooking them, whether they are wet/dry, seasoned before, during or after cooking them.

But nothing beats a pregnancy craving and I hope that you cooked them just like how you remembered them!

Anonymous said...

You gave out Mom's Rib Recipe!(gasps)!

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Thanks Liz!

And yes, the ribs were AWESOME. Although, not as yummy as my mom's. Nothing ever is, it seems.

Mmm! Just over 2.5 lbs of ribs were demolished by Eric and I, Caitlin declined after her "sport bite". More for us!

Cindy, we must share the power for good! For the good of all humankind!

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you weren't craving Dad's bland ribs. Sounds like my future niece/nephew might like spicy foods. I guess I'll have to take pity on you and send you a care package. You'll have to call Mom for the ackee and saltfish recipe though - I only know that you have to boil, and rinse the saltfish between 2-3 times before it goes in the saute pan with spices, diced tomatoes, onions, bacon, and of course ackee (not necessarily in that order). Serve with hard boiled eggs, fried or boiled dumplings, boiled green bananas (yeah I know about you and the bananas - trust me though - very starchy, soaks up oil and salt). If you're up to something green in the dish you can add some callaloo (kale). I can definitely swing some harddough bread, but don't know about the breadfruit. There's something else Mom serves with it and I even have a couple in my freezer, but can't remember what it's called.

WARNING! any carb counting dieters should just stay away from Our Mom's cooking, bread and starchy foods are an important part of every meal, just like dessert. Hmmm can't you just taste the Strawberry shortcake?

Scylla said...

Sounds as though Baby Hatchet is shaping his or her little world, just as they should.

I have been craving sweets this month, which is bad, so I have been eating a lot of fruit, in an attempt to be good.

Of course, I did buy a package of mini cupcakes, but they were Whole Foods mini cupcakes, which means they were evil in a whole grain, real butter, natural sugar way, instead of a processed sugar way. (Okay, just go with me here, they were good and I ate the entire package in just two days, so I need some delusional thinking!)

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Misty, don't feel too bad about craving sweets, did you see #2? Donuts, baby! Not even happy go lucky organic ones, either!

Eek!

You'd be amazed how quickly Eric falls in line with cravings for donuts, though!

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Hey Dawn are you thinking about "bammy"?

Mmmm, ackee and saltfish!

Anonymous said...

YES! Bammy! that's the ticket.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...