Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A good day for birds

It's about 24 degrees (Farenheit, of course) outside and there's about 6 inches of snow on the ground. And there are dozens of birds in my yard.

I went out yesterday, during a rare baby break, and refilled my two feeders. Today I am rewarded with a really good mix of birds.
  • Slate-colored Juncos
  • Pink-sided Juncos
  • Red shafted flickers
  • Downy woodpeckers
  • Chickadees
  • Nuthatch of indeterminate variety
  • House finches galore
I've decided that I need a better birding book. Mine has training wheels on it and I think I might be ready to graduate to Big Girl's Birding Book. I'm not fabulous at it, since all the females just look like LBBs (Little Brown Birds) to me, regardless of their type. I can only determine the species if I happen to see a male.

Winter is a good time of year to check out the birds in my yard since no foliage gets in the way and hummingbirds aren't around leaving me distracted. In the summer, when the hummers show up, all of the other birds get ignored. I become hummer obsessed. In the winter, though, I provide a good and reliable source of food to the winged set. And I get all crazy about the woodpeckers.

You could say I have seasonal favorites.

My cats, they approve.

5 comments:

Missy said...

Hey, there's a coincidence. It was 24 degrees here, as well. Celcius though. Bit of a difference!

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Missy, do you MOCK me with your WEATHER?!

Evil child!

Go sunbathe for me, would ya? Thanks. : )

Tadd said...

You could get a bit of a hummingbird fix by reading this...

http://www.amazon.com/Hummingbird-My-House-Story-Squeak/dp/0517577291

Tadd said...

Awww shoot. It didn't show up as a link. It is a book called A Hummingbird in My House: The Story of Squeak and it is fantastic.

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Thanks, Tadd! That looks sweet.

I wish I had a sunroom!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...