Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Pasta Estate

As opposed to Pasta Primavera, which means Spring, this is Pasta Estate. Summer pasta.

A pasta dish made with veggies you can only get in the summer time, at their peak. Our star performers include a trio of tomatoes: Cherokee Purple, Persimmon and Moskovich.

This is what they look like inside.

Gorgeous!

This is what they look like sauteed with zucchini, crookneck squash, fresh basil, garlic, olive and truffle oil.

Get closer. Can you smell it?


The truffle oil is the secret ingredient. We had a dish in Italy that was gobsmackingly delicious and when we raved about it, they told us about truffle oil. Mmmm! Italy!

Pour this mixture lovingly over your favorite pasta and serve!


Yum!

A friend recently asked us if we ate like this every night. Eric and I looked at one another somewhat sheepishly and said, "Yes." Eating at home, with a garden full of vegetables and palates spoiled rotten by years of eating at fabulous places means that we like to spend our energy on eating well. So that half hour to an hour that someone else spends cleaning their house? We spend that time cooking dinner.

Seems like a good trade to me!

Just don't look in my basement when you come over for dinner, okay?

P.S. This also explains why I'm awake at 1 a.m. cooling down, pureeing and sieving tomato sauce that I've just made from 6 lbs of paste tomatoes.

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

OMG, that looks amazing. Those tomatoes? I swear, I really can smell them. Mmmm. I could live on summer tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and fresh, crusty bread.

Red Flashlight said...

My family used to make something similar - we called it 'Calabacitas,' and understood it to be a dish from Spain. Truffle oil wasn't part of our recipe - that sounds over-the-top delicious! Nice photography, too. :)

Unknown said...

Yummy! You're making my mouth water!

Anonymous said...

Please pass me my drool bucket k thnks *drool*

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Kimberly: Mmmm! Pasta caprese and fresh bread would be really nice right about now!

Sierra: Thanks!

Bobbi: Just doing my part. The tomatoes make me do it.

Matt: You'd better hurry up and get out here before the tomatoes all get killed off by a frost or something.

Unknown said...

Oh. My. Good golly that looks good...

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Thanks Elaine! It was!

screamish said...

hmmmm...truffle oil...you just planted an evil shopping seed in my mind...it's the market tomorrow...mmmmmmm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...