Friday, May 04, 2007

Caitlin Sings

Live! In concert!

With 17 other classmates!

Caitlin had an end of year concert today with her class, for the benefit of parental and grandparental units. A good time was had by all.

However...

Considering the sheer amount of time, effort and VOLUME that child puts into singing around the house, I never would have expected her to go all mousey at school. We could barely hear her over the other more vocal children.

[Interesting note: Emma is turning in my gut right now and wants you to know that she enjoyed the singing. No comment from Brandon.]

What happened to my outgoing child? Where did the little leader go? What happened to the loudest, most popular girl in the room? Man! Kindergarten has brought on a whole bunch of changes and some of them have been...unpleasant. Some of them have been great, don't get me wrong, but I've been surprised repeatedly by the ways she's changed. It really is like having a mini teenager around the house some days.

Anyway....The singing was great. Great, I say! I look forward to getting Eric to do the fancy uploading moves on our dying video camera recording and then I'll post it here. Did I mention we're in need of a new camcorder? Oh, yeaaaaaah! We've got a 6th birthday coming up and twins! So, we're in need. The Shopper has been doing his research - it's just a matter of time until he finds the "right" one. Crazy as it may seem, the digital camera can't touch the video camera for actual live action memory capturing moments. I love looking at the videos from Caitlin's first 4 birthdays. Eek! The cuteness! Her voice, mannerisms, hairstyles - it's all too much when you see them from the lofty 6 year distance. Makes me fall in love with her all over again.

I still can't figure out how I'm going to love these two new ones as much as I love Caitlin. I suspect that I'll figure it out somehow. You know what? I couldn't imagine how I could possibly love Caitlin as much as I loved my cats before she was born, but that worked out, too. As a matter of fact, I remember the exact moment that I fell in love with her.

I was in my hospital bed, somewhere around Day Two after my emergency c-section, with Caitlin in my arms snoozing and all manner of tubes attached to my hands and arms. The drugs were finally wearing off and I was coming out of the coma (Felt like I kept blinking and hours would pass: blink - end of c-section; blink - into recovery room; blink - attempted nursing; blink - eating something; blink - visitors; blink - attempted nursing, etc.). I looked down at the 6 lb 14 oz bundle in my arms, I stroked the softest skin and hair in the world and I felt this warmth. It was like a warm, heavy, invisible blanket descended over my head and shoulders, wrapping me up. I sort of relaxed into it and my heart flipped over in a way that I'd only ever read about in books (And I thought they were exaggerating!). That was it. There was an actual moment.

Every day, I fall in love with her a little more*.

I'm looking forward to the twins having their moment, too.




* Except for when she's being impossible. I'm only human after all!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...