Monday, May 07, 2007

From menace to mulch

It has taken a whole lot longer to get to this point than I had anticipated, but we're finally here. Strapping young men with chainsaws are in my yard at this very moment absolutely destroying the Trees of Doom and Despair.

Oh, it's gonna be a hot one this summer without these trees, but they are way more trouble in messy broken branches, potential house damage and attracting hornets than they are worth, so out they go! Then, the ash trees will get more light and will (I hope) take off and fill in even better. The ash aren't slouches, but they are being crowded by the weedy trees.

Then there will just be the debate over whether or when to get new trees, of calmer, cuter, more controllable height and width with which to replace them. I'm thinking about crab-apples with really dark pink flowers and that have leaves that turn red in the fall. Brandywine comes to mind. That would be much nicer. I can live with dropped apples (I can rake them up and turn them into compost!) better than threat to my house and dodging hornets. By the way, cutting down 60' trees is expensive, but should result in a ton of mulch for the back yard.

Tree #1 - in progress. Yes, that is a big sucker!
Tree #2
Tree #3. This is the one that threatens the house the most and has been voted by the other trees as Most Likely To Smash The Roof or Deck In.
Limbs everywhere! from tree #1:

At the end of the day, it's almost like a totem pole!
Tree #2 looks just about as naked.
Mulch them! Mulch them! Unfortunately, they ran over one of my phlox subulata as they backed up over that corner of the front walkway garden. Le sigh!

Later...

The guy drove off with my mulched tree bits, but will be back tomorrow. Here's hoping he brings my mulch with him!

Hey, so when do I get the kind of job where I can say, "I'll be there at 9:30am." but then not show up until 12pm and yet not have to either a) be embarrassed or b) suffer some sort of hourly fine for not being on time? Must be nice to have service jobs like cable, tree cutting, plumbing and the like! Humpf!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...