Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Hatchet, How Dost Your Garden Grow?

Why...I thought you'd never ask!

It's been quite nice to have actual water fall out of the sky and even though it's not as much as falls in Jersey, I have had quite the happy garden! It certainly helps a lot that the garden we're speaking of is a xeric garden! My plants are really coming into their own these days - this is their 2nd to 3rd year and they are filling in nicely. The weeds are trying to fill in nicely too, and I have made some short forays out to rip them out of existence.

You know, it's not as easy to weed when your baby gut gets in the way and kneeling or sitting for too long makes your back ache. Being pregnant is crampin' mah gardenin' style! Be that as it may, I've still got some gardenin' in me and I'mma get out there as often as I can before I explode into hippo-ness or twin-ness. And before it gets too darned hot, too.

Without further ado, here are the latest images from Hatchet-land!

The Bees Below Your Knees garden is filling in nicely! The yellow flowering plant in the bottom left corner is about done now, sorry I didn't photograph it last week! It's called Basket of Gold alyssum - it's a perennial.
Right strip of BBYK garden. We had very few winter deaths, actually. I'm very pleased. However, someone managed to run over one salvia, one blue flax and someone else ran over a phlox subulata at the very bottom of the hill. Sigh. Now I'll have to move another salvia from the backyard. Ruined my symmetry, man!
The left side of the BBYK garden, also filling in nicely, although not as quickly as the right side. I think it's because it's a different mix of plants. Looks pretty good, though!
The Shrub of Doom Replacement Garden. Look at those yarrow go! It's aaaa-mazing the difference compost makes! The big lettuce-looking plants are Papaver somniferum 'Danebrog'. Those should look really nice when they bloom. Big, too!
Here's the whole thing, as of May 13th.

To compare Before and After pictures, you'll have to jump into the Wayback machine, or follow this link, and this one, and this one and this one. Neat, huh?

Here's a length-wise shot of the first 5 feet, this is the section that is most heavily filled in and currently in bloom.
Here is a seriously beautiful indigo blue columbine. I only wish I could reproduce it from seed. Instead, I may have to experiment with root cuttings - that's the only way I'll be able to make an identical clone of this plant. It's from a European columbine seed mixture and is significantly different from the state flower - note the lack of spurs and the depth of the color. I may try my hand with root cuttings in the fall. Too pretty to let die away!

Also, if you notice the serious bokeh of the photo, that's because of my flashy new birthday lens.

Now the only thing missing are the hummingbirds. I've got my feeder out! I'm waaaaaaiting! Maybe they are timed to arrive when the majority of my hummingbird plants are in bloom? Hmm...that's going to be a few more weeks, although the Keys of Heaven are budding out now.

1 comment:

Scylla said...

You know, it's really unfair that I am in the "garden state" and have no time with which to garden. Sigh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...