Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Let the mulching begin!

The tree dudes really did show up at 8:00 am this morning, much to my surprise. They finished up, removed the large chunk o' trees and were on their way, leaving behind a tremendous pile of mulch.

Eric has started schlepping it into the back yard, one wheelbarrow-full at a time. He went through 14 today and has only really begun to make a dent in the front pile's worth as seen in yesterday's picture. We've got a lot of mulch, but then again - I've got a lot of garden!

The backyard feels strangely open - as if we're now on display without the trees to block the view to the street. Exposed, if you will. I think I'll either have to get over that feeling, or get a pergola built over top of the deck! The pergola idea has percolated about in my head for a few years now, but it is lower on my priority list than a chest freezer. Or a refrigerator for starting plants that need cold stratification (columbines). That sort of thing.

My ability to garden is seriously hampered by my inability to breathe. I have to keep stopping and rest here and there. Clearly the amount of gardening I normally do is excessive, but this is seriously cramping my style! The weeds wait for no one!

Ah well, one weed at a time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with the sheer magnitude of change--mulching, weeding, encouraging ash trees. Now I have a complex about the yardwork I haven't done yet. Yeah, I was in NJ, but I've gotta get moving. No longer will I struggle to keep up with the Joneses: I'm aiming for a poor second behind the Hatchet. You go, girl!

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Don't forget that I'm insane when it comes to gardening - so don't hurt yourself!

No complexes!

Later on this year and well into the spring I'll probably let the yard fend for itself as I deal with being enormous and/or the presence of twins. Or both!

Don't forget that I'm growing heliotrope and ice plants with your name on them! They should be ready by either the end of May or early June.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I'd forgotten the heliotrope & ice plants! Now I'm really excited. Just let me know when to come get them.
As to hurting myself: my natural indolence always protects me. Gotta pull some weeds though. They took over while I was gone.
Happy Mom's Day. Let there be graft & luxury.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...