Friday, October 17, 2008

When Life Hands You Peaches...

Where Life = Heather, that is.

You make far more than just Peach Lemonade.

You make peach jam. I've never made jam before! I did it in the crock pot and it is wonderful!


Peach puree, blended with skins on and cooked down to remove a lot of water, this is intensely peachy stuff. It's perfect for peach yogurt.

Or peach ice cream!

Chopped and individually frozen peaches can be used later for all sorts of things, including peach cobbler!


Or peach bread.

If you run out of peaches, you can also make Pumpkin Raisin-Date bread.

Tomato soup base (Just add cream and simmer!).

Or tomato sauce.

You know, in case you had a stockpile of them sitting around your kitchen.

So, in case you were wondering what I've been doing the last few days, the answer is cooking.

A lot.

9 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Where the heck are the twins during all this?

Woman with a Hatchet said...

They were either napping, sleeping for the night (some of the sauces were completed at 1 am!), or eating snacks in their highchairs for the easy stuff.

They also play really well when they can't see me. If they can see me, they want me. If they can't see me, they're happy playing together, or with Caitlin, for ages!

Unknown said...

Oh that all looks so good! I love peach ANYTHING myself! And my dad would die for that Peach ice cream - his favorite!

Ali said...

Say, do you have yogurt instructions? Because this mama would like to start making some, if it ain't too hard. Or time consuming. Or expensive.

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Yogurt recipe is right here.

poosemommy said...

You sound like me with the cabbages and hot peppers! I added you to my blodroll. Love the foodie posts!

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Thanks, CITMTW! : ) What do we call you for short? Mommy just seems kinda funny....

Lauren Wayne said...

I'm hecka impressed. What a peach bounty you've got there. I've managed to deskin and freeze the harvest from one monster cherry tomato plant, and I was feeling pretty good. Your tomato sauce has inspired me to look for recipes, but I think I'll skip experimenting with ice cream, since tomato flavor would probably not be as good...

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Hi!

Actually, I've heard that if you use the really sweet cherry tomatoes you can make a tasty jam and ice cream. I didn't try that this year, although I may do so next year. Try it with SunGold or Snow Whites or anything that you know is VERY sweet.

Thanks for dropping by!

Hatchet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...