Thursday, April 24, 2008

It Figures

It figures

On the one night
when both are sleeping
my brain rebels
and spins and spins and spins
and will not stop
I lay in the dark and think of gardening
planting plants, making compost
dreaming of delving in the dirt

Finally
I cannot take it any longer
and get up
four a.m.
I shuffle past bedrooms of sleeping babes
take 3 IB and 2 cookies

A migraine
pressing my brain infernally
squeezing out sleep
squeezing out a poem
for you

but now
a dance partner awakes
and I must flee
back to the darkness
and wait for sleep

-- I blame Alessa and her Poem A Day prompts for how this came about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I had posted a reply, of the raspberry kind (or mind, as I almost mistyped!) I am now 4 days behind on t PAD challenge with a definite right wrist sprain, if not broken something...SIGH. Karate training is hard on us poets/massage therapists!

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Sorry about your wrist! Can't believe you have no sympathy for my brain! Phooey!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...