Friday, April 04, 2008

French Breakfast Muffins

You like doughnuts, right? I know I do, but have you had any recently? Did they make your teeth kind of...ache? from all the sugar? Me too!

A few years back, I remember having made a muffin that swore it tasted like a cinnamon-sugar doughnut. I vaguely remember trying it and liking it, but having so many other muffins, scones, cakes and cookies to bake, I never circled back around to making more of these.

I rectified that oversight this morning while the twins napped. Ooooh! Naps!

After I dipped Eric's in the vanilla-butter mixture and rolled it in the cinnamon-sugar topping, I handed it to him with the command: Eat this.

He complied, of course, then spent the next five minutes Ummm-ing and Yummm-ing and and Wow!-ing (Not the online game.) from the other room. He admits to taking one look at it and was prepared to be underwhelmed.

Never judge a muffin by its cover.

I was still busy photographing the results, because I knew you'd want me to share. At least, before I inhaled my share.
An unassuming yumminess.

French Breakfast Muffins

From the Colorado Cache Cookbook

1 1/2 c plus 2 tbsp (8.1 oz) AP flour
3/4 c (5.3 oz) sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 c milk
1 egg, beaten
1/3 c butter, melted
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 c butter, melted (mine was salted and was excellent)
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Combine first 5 ingredients.
  3. Add milk, egg and 1/3 c melted butter to dry ingredients and gently mix together. Do not over mix.
  4. Grease and flour muffin tins. Do not use paper muffin cups.
  5. Fill 1/2 full and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from pan immediately and dip in melted butter + vanilla extract mixture and then roll in cinnamon sugar. Serve warm.
Easy? Yes. Delicious? Oh yeaaaaaaaah! I'm lucky I stopped at two.

Take one doughnut-like muffin. Dip in vanilla-butter. Dip in cinnamon-sugar. Inhale.

Yummmmm.

9 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Do you hate me, or what?

Jennifer S said...

You're killing me.

Woman with a Hatchet said...

No, no! I luff you, dahlink, luff you!

Look at it this way: making these instead of buying doughnuts makes you a) burn calories from the making of them, unlike the store bought kind, b) contains far fewer calories, c) will make your children love you that much more and d) is an eco-conscious way of getting junk food! No driving involved, since most everyone would already have these ingredients and there's no packaging.

It's a win all the way around!

Just don't tell your waistline.

Oh, and it will encourage you to go for a walk! You know, to burn them off.

Heh!

Missy said...

Those are so on my breakfast menu this weekend.

Missy said...

I had a dream about these muffins last night. I had forgotten they were supposed to be muffins and made them like cookies instead. They were still tasty in my dream. Perhaps I needed a snack before bed or something!

Woman with a Hatchet said...

If you're dreaming about muffins, it's time to make some.

BTW, these muffins aren't very big. They're easily justifiable two eatin' size.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll ever make these because I used to "make the donuts" when I worked for a now defunct bakery in Asheville, NC. I rarely eat donuts anymore, pretty much only with my crazy friend Dave when we need a late night sugar buzz. I know, the WORST time to eat like that, but it's only once or twice a year...

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Ah, but Alessa, they're NOT doughnuts! That's the point. They've got to be better for you, since they aren't deep fat fried!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I haven't had these in 15 years. They're exactly like the ones I had before. Thanks again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...