Saturday, April 26, 2008

Let the Sleep Training Begin!

Heather came by today and put together a second crib for us. Hooray!

Most significant about the timing was that it was one day after I'd sent her a note in which I was clearly losing my ever-loving mind because Emma didn't sleep the night before.

Now when I say, "didn't sleep", you have to realize there was some sleep going on in there. Just none for me.

After being the Champion Sleeper for so long, she completely threw in the towel and decided to start waking every two hours, while Logan has finally started sleeping a little bit longer and is averaging 4-5 hour stretches.

By the way, these time periods never overlap. Thus, I was putting them to sleep between 7:30-8:30 and Emma would awaken at 10:30. Then Logan at 11:30 or 12:30. Then Emma again at 1 am, 3 am, and 5 am and Logan around 4 am and then 7 am.

Waking up six times in one night is sheer torture. It's enough to make you crazy. And when I say "you", of course I mean "me". So this is where sleep training comes in.

I love my children: truly, madly, deeply. I also love my husband. And I love sleep. Starting tonight, we will try to synch Emma's sleep schedule up with Logan's. I fully expect it to be a miserable experience for all involved, especially when she wakes him up in the crib right next door. Screaming. My plan is to nurse them both back to sleep and then have Eric do the pat, pat, pat thing during the "extra" nursing time periods. Waking once or twice I can deal with, you see -- it's the five or six times that are four or five times too many!

As Ali said, Cry it On, baby!

If you have a better idea about how to sleep train twins and not lose your mind, let me know in the comments! Advice from the experienced is always welcome.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...