Monday, December 04, 2006

C is for Cookie....

And cookie is for me!

What do you do with a kid that:
  1. Hates walking
  2. Hates the cold
  3. Gets upset at really loud noises
  4. Doesn't like competition
  5. Gets really frustrated when she can't have cotton candy?
Why you put her in the local Parade of Lights, that's what!

As part of the Girl Scout Daisies group that she's in, the girls made costumes to be in this year's parade. I asked Caitlin if she wanted to do it and she said yes. The theme was Girl Scout Cookies. Big leap there, eh? Last week at the meeting we made costumes. Mostly the moms made the costumes, while the girls got to decorate them when the big cutting and spray adhesive part was over.

Unfortunately, I didn't take into account my burning need for photo-realism. She didn't know which kind she wanted to be, so I suggested my personal favorite: the Samoa.
Mmmmm!

This led to much thinking. How does one make one out of cardboard? We brought large cardboard cutouts to the meeting, but that was all I knew to do. Fortunately, the troop leader had brought lots of different types of fabric. So I gathered some brown fabric for the chocolate part and then had a thrilling idea for the coconut. Unfortunately, it meant not completing the cookie while at the meeting and not allowing Caitlin to run wild with glue and random objects to attach to the brown fabric covered circles.

Damned perfectionism!

However, when it was all put together it looked scrumptious!

It was cold that night, so we bundled her up. I, yet again, lamented my lack of thermal underwear. I've lived here for almost 2 decades and I still don't own any long underwear?! What the heck?
Our over-tired parade marcher had an unfortunate meltdown at the very end of the parade over cotton candy which she observed being eaten by the onlookers. She could not be persuaded that it was better to be in the parade than to have eaten spun colored sugar.

Oh well!

She did get to wave to many folks, some of whom she actually knew and received much praise for being a fabulous looking Samoa. When we went to dinner afterwards, many of the other patrons were very admiring of the costume.

And I have discovered a hitherto unknown love for spray adhesive. My first bottle of the stuff.

What else can I do with it? Hmmmm!

Suddenly I think I know what I'm going to be for Halloween next year!

4 comments:

Scylla said...

She is cute! Great Costume!

As for what you can do with spray adhesive, decoupage baby! Nothing better than spray adhesive and tiny pieces of paper to turn a normal vase into a lovely one.

Anonymous said...

File Folder Games !!! I used 5 bottles to make them at work, they are fun and educational!

Anonymous said...

Where are my cookies?!?!!

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Actually, Daisies aren't allowed to sell cookies. Next year, if she's still in the GS, then she can sell and you can buy to your heart's content!

I'm sure she'd love to sell her Aunt cookies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...