Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Contained excitement

Remember when I went plant shopping and then promised you pictures? Well, here they are, finally.

Here is my pot filled with sedums.
In the very front there's one tiny Dichondra 'Silver Falls' that I grew from seed. These plants are all perennials and so I should be able to put them into the ground in the fall. Or someone will. They are individually really cute, if you can call a plant cute, and together they look smashing. I love that they're all in the same plant family and yet look remarkably different.

The plant in the middle is Sedum spurium 'Tricolor'.
The plants at 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock are Sedum pachyclados 'Rosette'.
The plants at 7 o'clock and 12 o'clock are Sedum album 'Murale', the one that's listed as being invasive right on the tag!
Finally, in the 3 o'clock position, we have Sedum hispanicum 'Purple Form'.
To the left of the doorway, in the pots that I spent big money on, I have a Murale in one small pot on the left and 2 Purple Forms plus 2 Silver Falls in the small pot to the right.
The big pot is the one that I stuffed full of plants that I'd grown from seed. The four corners are filled with Silver Falls, the 4 sides with lobelia 'Riviera Splash', one heliotrope in the middle front with coleus 'Mosaic' on either side and behind it is a Chinese fountain grass.
Click the image for a really BIG close up.
We'll see how all of that fills in over the course of the summer.

Just so you know, the soil doesn't go all the way down in the really big pot. That seemed really wasteful, so I filled it halfway with packing peanuts. Good reason to keep those things around! Save on potting soil, help with drainage and make the pot easier to move, if you need to. Although not this one, it's ceramic and is crazy heavy. I potted it in situ so I wouldn't have to move it at all.

Here's a picture of last year's pot. It's the same pot that has the sedum currently in it, but was jammed full of lots of different things last year. Probably a few too many!
Click the image for a really BIG close up.
There were 2 heliotrope, 2 agastache 'Apache Sunset', 1 guara, 3 or 4 Russian stonecrop and some number of lobelia 'Riviera splash'. The lobelia was overrun by the sedum and didn't make it through the rest of the summer. The heliotrope and agastache were scented and made walking out the front door delectable! You could smell the heliotrope from the foot of the stairs, which is why I wanted another one in my pot this year. I'm hoping that this year's plants will do really well and that I haven't overloaded it again. I can't seem to find any info on just how many plants are just right or too many or not enough to go in my pots.

We'll see!

Gardening is all about patience.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...