Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Watery Tart

Here are a couple of pictures of what I've been working on in the yard.

Ahhhh...water features!

Here is my fountain, created a few years back. A couple of days ago Eric helped me to empty it out and then refill it. I ripped out bunches of lamb's ears that was encroaching on its space, cleaned the rocks, threw in some mosquito killer stuff and put down some mulch in front as a placeholder for where I'd like some ground cover plants. Maybe some ajuga?
It makes very relaxing sounds. If only I had time to just hang out and listen?

Here is my pond that Eric and I dug the enormous holes for last fall and installed the water plants a week ago. The plants surrounding it were moved into place last fall.

Close up to show you the 'Afro' hard rush (crazy looking Dr. Seuss plant), 'Red Fox' curly sedge, 'Conqueror' red water lily (in the top bowl) and 'Madame Wilfron Gonnere', a pink water lily (in the bottom bowl). I'm debating whether or not to plug the pump in and run the waterfall or if that would disturb the plants too much.

The rush and sedge started out as a single plant each, but upon getting them home I decided that they needed to be potted up. During the said potting up on Sunday, I noticed that both of them were incredibly root bound! So I broke out a very sharp knife and cut each plant in half and repotted those. Now I have matching marginal water plants with each lily, two for the price of one! In the fall I'll have to figure out how to over winter them indoors. Maybe in the bathtub in the basement? Hmmm....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...