Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday Morning in the Garden

There's a lot to be said for just slowing down and observing one's own garden. If it weren't for the fact that I'm doubly gravid, I would be out in the garden, early in the mornings weeding, digging and planting. However, since I am the T.C.U. (Twin Containment Unit, an acronym coined by Eric last night) and everyone keeps telling me to take it easy, here I am, conspicuously taking it easy.

I've gotten to see some fun stuff this morning.

I had a count, for a split second of five hummingbirds. There may still be more, but for just a moment I had a clear count of "Hey! That's not just three!" since they were all chasing one another up, down, across the yard and over my head. I'm sitting right next to the bowl of scarlet sage and they aren't letting my presence deter them in the least from getting to the flowers. It's kind of hard to focus on them since they're so close to my face but I can hear the buzz of tiny wings and feel the vibration while they hover. I also get to watch closely as they chase rivals off and make high pitched Pew! Pew! noises. Imagine the sound a tiny elfin child might make while wielding a tiny elfin gun at another child whilst playing Cops and Robber.

OK, that's a bizarre analogy, but until you are sitting near a pile of hummers and hear this sound, you're going to have to take my word for it.

Next year, my gardening obsessed head is counting on all of the things that I'll get to do next year in the garden. Val thinks that I'm fooling myself thinking that I'll be lucky to get 20 minutes together to do anything once the twins are born. I'm worried that she's right. I'm terrified to think what if she's wrong in the other direction: not even 20 minutes.

Aieee!

In the meantime, I'll just dream on that in 6 months my twins will let me get anything done at all not involving nursing, diaper changing or chasing them down.

A girl's gotta dream!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...