Friday, October 26, 2007

Four Weeks Postpartum

In case you were wondering what 4 weeks postpartum looks like, here it is. Don't look if you're easily frightened by deflated tummies.

Before - 38 weeks pregnant.


After - 4 weeks, 40 lbs, and a pair of twins later.
A little tired? Perhaps! Although my months of no more than 1.5 hours of sleep really was good training for only 2-3 hours of sleep each night. Cool new necklace from Grammy Linda from Africa: made from water buffalo bone.
Ready? Don't be scared!
Eek! Deflated belly! But, as I was told by Misty (and Lee), do not disparage the belly! It was a hard working belly and due all honors. I still look pregnant, but not too bad, although I can't fit in my regular jeans and will be stuck wearing maternity clothes or very loose pants until more of the remaining 25 lbs comes off. Fortunately, the twins are helping with that: ~1000 calories per day in breastfeeding.

Whew!

Well, time to go nurse some more - Logan is looking for me. Ciao!

8 comments:

Lee Gonzales said...

Never, ever, malign the belly!

Scylla said...

It is a lovely belly, and looks a lot like mine!

Ali said...

Damn! I hope I look half as good after the fact!

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Aww shucks! Thanks Ali!

Misty and Lee: I bow before your knowledge of belly appreciation.

Anonymous said...

I always think of all the OTHER mommies as having flat tums and only mine looking as if babies lived in there. Thank you for that picture.

Woman with a Hatchet said...

I did it for you, Swistle! : )

And all the other moms. This is reality. Only movie stars can get pregnant, have the totally skinny impossible body and then work off the weight in the 1st 6 weeks after the baby is born.

Real people have to do it the hard way.

Builds character.

Anonymous said...

I came looking for other bellies like mine tonight because I am sad. I hate looking at myself and wish I was thinner. I do cognitively appreciate the fact that our bellies tell the story of having had kids - I've had 3. I just didn't want to always look like it. Thank you for being so brave.

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Anonymous: It is hard to have a body completely rearranged by children, but try not to be too sad. I try to keep in mind that the beauty standards I keep trying to compare myself to do NOT take pregnancy, childbirth and AGING into account.

We grow, we change, we look different. It's not bad. It's just different.

If it helped you to see my belly at 4 weeks, perhaps I'll do another shot now at 12 months. It's flatter, but still not movie-star-like! It probably never will be and that's OK.

Hang in there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...