Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers

We went out to dinner in a restaurant last night, the entire Hatchet Clan plus the members of Chez Hatchet (How do we refer to our biological family and then the family we created when we got married and had 3 kids? That's who I'm talkin' about here.), to celebrate Eldest Sister's BS degree in Nursing. She's schmart, that one. Schmart.

I had hoped that the twins would remain asleep while we were there as they did in the restaurant in Breckenridge, however, it was not to be. So I whisked off to the restroom with Logan to change and nurse him. I'm not ready yet to whip out my breasts in public in front of my dad, so I took myself off. We were in there for a bit and had many nice comments from many different women as they came in and out. Since Emma was snoozing elsewhere, it was just like having a singleton. Whee! Then, when I was getting ready to burp him and leave, he spit up over my shoulder. The latest set of women in the room were changing the diaper of their baby (mother and daughter pair with infant) and pointed out that he'd just urped up down my back. I laughed and did the best I could to clean up. The new mom came over and helped clean off my back and we chatted a bit while commiserating on the shared state of mom-hood.

While the general public can often be cold and uncaring, it's funny how something as simple as wiping up spit up off the back of a perfect stranger can change your perspective. Thanks Caring Mom!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know your dad came down. That's great!

And congratulations for being able to go out and about so quickly, with such aplomb.

Scylla said...

There is nothing like motherhood, and mothers (anyone's), to show you that everyone most assuredly does not suck.

Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers.

Woman with a Hatchet said...

I've got aplomb! That must be Kate.

Thanks Kate!

Anonymous said...

Damn! Do I even need to sign these notes?

I wasn't even trying to be sneaky and you caught me. Watch out, Caitlin, Emma, and Logan. You're not getting away with anything.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...