Thursday, November 22, 2007

Giving Thanks: Part IV

The natural world.

House finches.

While we were having breakfast and getting the turkey ready to go in the oven, my mother-in-law pointed out all of the birds visiting my feeder. An avid (Rabid) birder, she spotted a red breasted nuthatch, a downy woodpecker, a blackbird and a pile of house finches in short order. I had thought the nuthatch was a chickadee, but it wasn't. We have chickadees, but they were visiting someone else's feeder this morning.

Isn't it funny how someone else's enthusiasm is contagious? I got wound up over her excitement and had her go fill the bird bath on the deck. Then, after the woodpecker showed up, I found my last brick of suet and hung it up outside off the deck. In my pajamas. In the snow.

The birds, I'm sure, are also thankful today.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...